16658 109 AVE NW‎​ ​EDMONTON​ ​AB​ ​T5P 1C2​ | Get Directons | Call: 780-448-2233

Driver’s Licence Application

Steps to get your Driver’s Licence in Alberta

Alberta has a Graduated Driver Licensing program (or “GDL” for short), which has 3 Stages:

  • Stage 1 – Class 7 – Learner’s licence
  • Stage 2 – Class 5 (GDL) – Probationary licence
  • Stage 3 – Class 5 – Non Probationary licence

Stage 1

To obtain a Learner’s licence (Class 7) you must:

  • be 14 years of age or older
  • pass a vision test and a knowledge test on the rules of the road
  • have parental consent if you are under 18 years of age
  • present valid Personal Identification

Class 7 Learner’s licence drivers have the following limitations:

  • Must be accompanied by a fully licenced (non-GDL probationary) driver who is 18 years of age or older and is seated next to the driver.
  • Not permitted to drive from midnight to 5 a.m.
  • Not permitted to have more passengers than seat belts.
  • They will be suspended at 8 demerit points (fully licenced drivers – at 15).
  • Have a zero alcohol level.

Note: If learning to drive a motorcycle, you must be 16 years of age and are not permitted to drive during nighttime hours. You must be accompanied by a fully licenced (non-GDL probationary) driver who is 18 years of age or older and is either seated on the motorcycle with you or is following you in or on another motor vehicle.

Note: Operators of a moped with a Class 7 licence are subject to the zero alcohol level restrictions and are not permitted to drive during nighttime hours.

Stage 2

To become a Class 5 GDL probationary driver you must:

  • Be 16 years of age or older
  • Have held a Class 7 learners licence at least one year
  • Pass the basic Alberta Class 5 road test

Probationary conditions and limitations for Alberta Class 5 GDL Drivers:

  • Must spend a minimum of two years as a probationary driver
  • No more passengers than seat belts
  • They will be suspended at 8 demerit points (fully licenced drivers – at 15 demerits)
  • Have a zero alcohol level
  • No upgrading to a commercial licence (Classes 1, 2, 3 or 4)
  • Cannot serve as an accompanying driver to a learner

Stage 3

Non-probationary licence (Class 5)

To become a fully licenced driver you must:

  • Have been suspension free for the last year of the two-year probationary stage.
  • Pass an advanced Class 5 road test.

What to Bring to Your Test

When you apply for a motor vehicle licence, a registry agent must verify your identity through a strict identity confirmation process.

A registry agent will require information to satisfy the following three categories. Expired documents will not be accepted. At least one of these documents must also prove that you are legally permitted to be in Canada.

Who You Are

Photo documents must contain your legal name and date of birth. Some examples of primary photo identification are (this is not an all-inclusive list):

  • Alberta operator’s licence or identification card
  • Photo driver’s licence (from another jurisdiction)
  • Valid Canadian Passport
  • NEXUS Card
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) Card (Federally issued)
  • Municipal, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification.
  • Valid foreign Passport with appropriate Immigration documents
  • Permanent Resident Card.
  • Métis Nations of Alberta Card (new version).
    - Métis ID number is displayed on the face of the card.
    - The card contains water mark features.

What You Have

Support documents that contain two data elements such as name, date of birth, signature, address, etc. At least one of these documents must show that you live in Alberta and have a residence here. Some examples of support documents are (this is not an all-inclusive list):

  • Birth or Marriage Certificate (original or certified)
  • Utility statements, such as cable, telephone, gas, electricity
  • Work Visa, Student Visa, Permanent Resident Card
  • Canada Citizenship Certificate (issued after February 1, 2012)
  • Income tax assessment
  • Property tax bill
  • Insurance policy documents (life, auto, residential, etc.)
  • Government assistance document(s) (e.g. Income Support document, cheque, etc.)

* You may also use another piece of acceptable photo identification as outlined above in lieu of these support documents.

Some examples of UNACCEPTABLE support documents are (this is not an all-inclusive list):

  • Interim/temporary driver’s licence
  • Business cards
  • Video membership cards
  • Library card
  • Cheque cashing card
  • Social insurance number (SIN)

We’re specialists in FAST & 

FRIENDLY service!

Call Registrations Are Us today

Contact Us


16658 109 Ave NW‎

Edmonton AB

Canada, T5P 1C2

PHONE: 780-448-2233


Sunday 12:00 PM - 04:00 PM

Monday - Friday 08:30 AM - 08:00 PM

Saturday 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM

Please note All Registry Offices will be CLOSED on the 2nd Sunday of every month due to mandatory Government system upgrades. Our regular hours resume on Monday!

Social Media


Send to a friend

Send the url of this page to a friend of yours

Copyright Registrations Are Us 2019 - Legal
Created by

Legal notice