Learner’s Permit (class 7)

No appointment is necessary to write your “learner’s”, but you must be 14 years old or more. If you are under 18 years of age you must have your parent or guardian sign a Parental Consent Form in front of a Registry Clerk so that all your information is verified.

Study Guides are available online at www.transportation.alberta.ca/531.htm

Before you write your knowledge test you must provide satisfactory identification. Acceptable IDs include your Birth Certificate or Passport. In addition, one other piece of ID is required, preferably with a photo. For people not born in Canada a Foreign Passport or Canadian Citizenship card is good identification as it contains both a photo and signature. We also require your Canada Entry documents – Work Permit, Study Permit, Visitor Record or Permanent Residence Card. If you are over the age of 18, you will also have to provide Proof of Residency in Alberta.

The following are acceptable documents:

  • Current Utility Bills (i.e. Telus home phone, Epcor, Atco, Direct Energy, etc.)
    Please note: Cell Phone bills and Credit Card bills are not acceptable
  • Apartment/House rental agreement from a third party property management company
  • Mortgage or Land Title / Property Assessment documents in your name
  • Bank client profile with Bank Stamp, Bank Statements, or Cancelled cheques showing your current Alberta address.
  • Letter from an employer, signed and dated, on company letterhead. This must be from an Alberta-based company, and must state that the client is physically working in Alberta
  • Proof of filing taxes in Alberta or a current T4 slip
  • Statement of Social Assistance or Employment Insurance benefits.

Once your identity is confirmed and entered into the Motor Vehicles system you will purchase a permit to take the multiple choice knowledge test on our computers. If you happen to fail the test you may take it again the next day; however you will have to pay the fee each time you try the test. Alberta Registries limits attempts to one per day province wide. After you pass your knowledge test you will be given a vision test which you must also pass. If you fail your vision test you may be required to obtain eye glasses.


Oral Drivers knowledge (Learners Exam)

Who can take an oral drivers knowledge test?

We provide English audio and oral translated knowledge tests to clients who:

  • Are unable to speak or comprehend English.
  • Have poor reading skills and have difficulty understanding the written test.
  • Have a medical condition such as dyslexia.

Headphones can be made available to clients who choose to have the computer read out the questions.

Types of Translated Knowledge Tests

There are two types of oral translated knowledge tests:

  1. Full translation in a language other than English.
    Only available for licence class 3, 6 or 7 knowledge tests.Who can be approved as Translators for Knowledge Tests?
    A Translator Identification Number (TIN) is required.

    •  A Registry Agent employee.
    •  Currently Certified or Accredited Translators from:
    •  Alberta Court Interpreters Association
    •  The Alberta Chapter of Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (ACRID)
    •  Deaf and Hard of Hearing Society
    •  The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta www.ATIA.AB.CA
    •  Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC)
    •  The Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Southern Alberta (AVLISA)
    •  Centralized Interpreter Services (CIS) Edmonton area only
    •  International Federation of Translators

    Individuals that have been granted special exemption by the Registrar of Alberta Transportation – a TIN is still required.

    Who is not eligible or what translation credentials are not acceptable?

    • Letter from the Immigration Refugee Board or from a local community representative or an employer.
    • An owner or employee of a Driver Training School, a Driver Training Instructor or a Driver Examiner.
    • A relative or employer of the applicant.
    • Persons not otherwise accredited or certified by one of the above listed entities.
  2. English assisted test.
    Available for all licence class knowledge tests

    • Registrations Are Us staff are certified to complete all English assisted tests.