Skip Navigation

16658 109 AVE NW‎​ ​EDMONTON​ ​AB​ ​T5P 1C2​ | Get Directions | Call: 780-448-2233

Learner’s Permit

Learner’s Permit (class 7)

No appointment is necessary to write your “learner’s”, but you must be 14 years old or more. If you are under 18 years of age you must have your parent or guardian sign a Parental Consent Form in front of a Registry Clerk so that all your information is verified.

Study Guides are available online at

Before you write your knowledge test you must provide satisfactory identification. Acceptable IDs include your Birth Certificate or Passport. In addition, one other piece of ID is required, preferably with a photo. For people not born in Canada a Foreign Passport or Canadian Citizenship card is good identification as it contains both a photo and signature. We also require your Canada Entry documents – Work Permit, Study Permit, Visitor Record or Permanent Residence Card. If you are over the age of 18, you will also have to provide Proof of Residency in Alberta.

The following are acceptable documents:

  • Current (less than 90 days) credit card/bank statement or cell phone bills received by Canada Post are acceptable
  • Apartment/House rental agreement from a third party property management company
  • Mortgage or Land Title / Property Assessment documents in your name
  • Letter from an employer, signed and dated, on company letterhead. This must be from an Alberta-based company, and must state that the client is physically working in Alberta. Letter cannot be accepted if over 15 days old
  • Most recent personal tax assessment are acceptable if received by Canada

Once your identity is confirmed and entered into the Motor Vehicles system you will purchase a permit to take the multiple choice knowledge test on our computers. If you happen to fail the test you may take it again the next day; however you will have to pay the fee each time you try the test. Alberta Registries limits attempts to one per day province wide. After you pass your knowledge test you will be given a vision test which you must also pass. If you fail your vision test you may be required to obtain eye glasses.

Oral Drivers knowledge (Learners Exam)

Who can take an oral drivers knowledge test?

We provide English audio and oral translated knowledge tests to clients who:

  • Are unable to speak or comprehend English
  • Have poor reading skills and have difficulty understanding the written test
  • Have a medical condition such as dyslexia

Headphones can be made available to clients who choose to have the computer read out the questions.

Types of Translated Knowledge Tests

There are two types of oral translated knowledge tests:

1. Full translation in a language other than English.

Only available for licence class 3, 6 or 7 knowledge tests. Who can be approved as Translators for Knowledge Tests?

A Translator Identification Number (TIN) is required.

Applicants looking to receive approval as a translator must be referred to Alberta Transportation, Drivers, Programs and Licensing Standards @


All tests are:

  • Multiple choice
  • Taken on our computer
  • Taken in our office
  • Taken during regular office hours

Appointments are not required and exams are taken on a first come first serve basis. Your exam must start at least 30 minutes before closing time, please check the office hours page for confirmation of office hours.


We’re specialists in FAST & 

FRIENDLY service!

Call Registrations Are Us today

Contact Us
Copyright Registrations Are Us 2023 - Legal
Created by

Legal notice