What You Need When Changing Your Corporate Name
- One piece of acceptable personal identification
- The completed Articles of Amendment form
- An Alberta biased NUANS report completed within the last 90 days for the new proposed name
When Should You Request a Corporate Name Change?
When you want to:
- Change the name of the corporation
- Cancel an additional form of a corporate name
- Designate an additional form of a corporate name. The additional form of name may be in English, French, or a combined English and French form.
What is a NUANS report?
A NUANS (Newly Upgraded Automated Name Search) search is a comprehensive search that compares a proposed Alberta or extra-provincial corporation name or a proposed non-profit name to a database of Alberta and federal corporation names.
- The person who ordered the report uses it to decide whether they should proceed with their proposed name for an Alberta or extra-provincial corporation.
- In the case of a non-profit organization, Corporate Registry will examine the report to decide whether or not the proposed name can be used in Alberta.
- In most cases, a NUANS report is required for incorporation, amalgamation, name change, or revival of an Alberta corporation or non-profit organization and for registration, amalgamation, name change, and reinstatement of an extra-provincial corporation.
- The following situations do not require a NUANS report:
- When the proposed name is a ‘number name’ for an Alberta or extra-provincial corporation.
- When the proposed name is for a federal (Canada) corporation that is extra-provincially registering in Alberta.
- When the proposed name is for an Alberta corporation that is reviving within three years of it dissolution.
- The NUANS report reserves the proposed name for 90 days. The complete report, whether an original or fax copy, must be submitted with the incorporation/registration details and must be less than 91 days old.
- Another type of report, the Business Name Report, focuses on Alberta partnership and trade names (business names) and does not reserve the proposed business name. Corporate Registry recommends this report be purchased and reviewed prior to registration of a business name.
- In Alberta, NUANS and Business Name Reports can be purchased through Registrations Are Us
For Additional Information
Name and Searches