Moving to Alberta Health Care

Moving to Alberta? Don’t wait to get your health care coverage!

There are many great things about living in Alberta and health care is one of them. If you’re new to the province, here’s everything you should know about the Alberta Healthcare Insurance Plan (AHCIP) and how to submit your application for registration.

If you’re moving to Alberta from another province or territory

Canadian citizens and permanent residents moving to Alberta with the intention of making it their permanent residence for at least 12 months should be eligible for AHCIP. You must commit to being present in the province for a 12-month period and you must not be claiming residency or benefits from another province or territory.

If you sign up within three months of moving to Alberta, your health care coverage starts on the first day of the third month after you officially established residency. For example, if you moved to Edmonton on July 22, your coverage will be affective on October 1.

If you require healthcare services during the three-month waiting period, continue to use your health care card from your previous province or territory until you’ve received your Alberta card.

If you’re moving to Alberta from another country
Those who are moving, immigrating or returning to Alberta from outside of Canada may be eligible for ACHIP from the day they establish residency. Eligibility depends on the following:

  • The type of entry document you have
  • Any restrictions listed on the document
  • The length of time you’re allowed to remain in Canada
  • Your commitment to living in Alberta for at least 12 months.

If you’re moving to Alberta temporarily, you must intend to live in the province for at least 12 months and have appropriate Canadian entry documents in order to be covered by AHCIP. Documents can include an active work permit of at least six months, a 12-month study permit, a visitor permit or designation as a convention refugee (along with proper documentation).

How to register

In order to apply for AHCIP, you must fill out the application form (available on the Government of Alberta website or from an authorized registry agent like Registrations Are Us). Submit the application form and the necessary supporting documents to a registry agent. This can be done in person or by mail.

Registration services in Edmonton

If you’re a new or returning resident to Alberta, it’s important to submit your application for health care registration as soon as possible. The authorized registry agents from Registrations Are Us can help you with this or with any other registration services you may need. Contact us today for more information.


Leave a comment