05/10/2017 0 Comments
Have You Consented to Organ and Tissue Donation on Your License?
Organ donation rates are on the decline worldwide, and unfortunately, it is not because people do not want to give, but because people have not yet consented. A vast majority of people do not consent because they give in to the common myths regarding tissue donation. Therefore, it is important to be fully informed before you consent or deny consent on your own license in Alberta.
The Facts About Tissue and Organ Donation Consent
Tissue and organ donations are the lifeblood of the country. They save the lives of others, aide in medical research and contribute so much to society. There are some drawbacks to the process as well, which is why you must familiarize yourself with all of the facts:
- Your Life Matters First – A lot of people assume that if they consent, the doctors will focus on saving their organs for harvest, not on saving their lives. The truth is, doctors are there to save you and do what they can for you first.
- There is an Age Requirement – You cannot complete the consent form in Alberta for organ donation if you are under the age of 18. On your 18th birthday, you can add organ donation to your driver’s license by completing the consent form. Also, there is no cut-off age for donation, but your medical condition and overall health will be assessed by physicians at the time to determine if organs are worth transplanting; so never assume that you are too old to donate.
- Loved Ones Do Not Pay – If you choose to donate, your family will not pay the costs of the donation or the surgeries associated with it. These are paid for by the organ recipients.
- Some Health Conditions Are Still Accepted – Medical conditions do not affect all organs; therefore, if you suffer from certain conditions you could still be a donor.
- You Can Identify Which Organs – You do not have to consent to a blanket donation. In fact, you can consent as to which organs you want donated; such as a kidney, heart or your lungs.
If you are over the age of 18 and ready to consent to organ or tissue donation, you can fill out the online consent form and bring it to the team at Registrations Are Us. We will add the consent to your license. Have you taken your road test yet? If not, schedule your road test with our licensed team today. Call us at 780-448-2233 to schedule your appointment or contact us online with your questions.