06/06/2019 0 Comments
5 things you should know before getting a scooter
A scooter is a popular type of two wheeled vehicle. Most are smaller than motorcycles and are identifiable by their footrest and smaller wheels. Because they’re usually smaller, scooters are easier to learn to ride than motorcycles.
Are you interested in riding a scooter around Alberta? Here are five you should know before getting your own.
- Size matters. How your scooter is classified depends on its power. According to Alberta law, scooters with engines that have a displacement of 50 cc or less are considered mopeds, and those with larger engines are considered motorcycles.
- You need a licence to operate a scooter. But the licence depends on the size of your scooter. For those that fall into the motorcycle category, a class 6 licence is required. If it’s considered a moped, a class 7 license is necessary. The class 7 licence is normally considered a learner’s permit, but in this case, the driver doesn’t need to be supervised while operating their vehicle.
- There are age restrictions. A driver must be at least 14 years old in order to be granted a class 7 licence. A driver must be at least 16 years old and have held a class 7 permit for at least a year in order to be eligible for a class 6 licence.
- Registration and insurance are required. Valid insurance coverage is necessary, as is registering the vehicle with the province.
- You must wear a helmet. A motorcycle helmet is required by law. Look for one that’s DOT or CSA certified. Choose a full-face model that provides the best protection for your head and face.
Other considerations before getting on a scooter
As is the case when driving any other motor vehicle, it’s important to follow the rules of the road and take precautions to ensure you arrive at your destination safely. Besides your helmet, wear clothes and footwear that will help protect you from injury in the event of a crash or fall. Leave your cellphone in your pocket, and never operate a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Registration services in Edmonton
The authorized registry agent experts at Registrations Are Us can help with drivers licensing and obtaining the proper registration for all types of vehicles. We’re happy to help the people of Edmonton and area with a variety of registry services. Contact us today so you can hit the road.