A Vehicle Information Report (VIR) provides Alberta Registries information about a vehicle’s registration history in Alberta only. A government fee is applied. The report is produced using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). A VIN is the unique serial number assigned to every vehicle by the manufacturer or the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s assigned VIN program. An accurate and complete VIN must be provided to complete a VIR request.
The information contained in the VIR includes:
- The date and time of the report
- Vehicle description – year, make, model, style, colour, fuel type, odometer reading if available
- Vehicle status – active, salvage, non-repairable, unsafe, rebuilt, etc.
- Vehicle registration – date vehicle first entered on system, licence plate classification, registration history date and location (no personal information for any current or previous owner is shown, including licence plate numbers)
- Lien information – provides the number of liens and other related instruments which are registered in the province of Alberta and associated with the serial number (detailed information, such as the secured party and the party to whom the money is owed, can be determined by purchasing a separate Personal Property lien search)
The VIR ONLY shows information from the Alberta Motor Vehicle System. It does not include any information from other provinces or countries where the vehicle may have been registered.
Contact Registrations Are Us and we’ll help you through the process.